Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Pearl vs Emelie

Okay...here's how it went down - I went out to the horse pasture Sunday, (I know, I know...a Sunday. Probably not a good day to pick to groom and deworm the horses) but anyway. Pearl came up to me first so I grabbed her.

I haltered her and began grooming her - of course she always stands still for that, though. Next I grab the dewormer package and once she hears the wrapper opening she started walking her circles and tossing her head. When we deworm Pearl we either hhave to cross tie her in the shoot at the corral or twitch her nose. I only had one lead rope with me so I tried twitching her. She knows what's coming and she always tosses her head pretty good to keep me from getting her. Anyway, when I do decide to twitch her, I know to hold her with my left left hand on her let side (when we're facing each other), so my hand will be between her and I.

Well, she turned just right and tossed her head just right and she landed "just right" and whopped me a good one! I immediately drop the syringe (and of course she calmed right down) and held onto her and waited for the dizziness to come. Jarom was out with me and he said, "Um, Emelie. Pearl just hit you with her head." "Haha, yep!" "Are you dizzy?" "Nope." But my adreneline was sure going!!

I started to take her halter off and just let her go, but I said to myself, "Wait! If I don't deworm her she'll learn that all she has to do is pitch a fit and she won't get it." (Its that quick desolving apple flavored stuff - the rest of the horses REALLY love this stuff!)

I handed the dewormer to Jarom adn got "rough" with her and twitched her and had Jarom give her the medicine and then I let her go. I was going to groom and deworm my two out there then play basketball with Jarom...and I started to when I let Pearl go, but then I started to feel my eye quickly swell up!

I headed to the house and grabbed some ice and put it on my ever-growing eye. This picture is about 15 minutes after the incident. At the "whitest" part of the bruise is actually stretched skin and where the goose egg is! It bruised pretty quick, huh?! Mom said the face and around the eyes, especially, are a lot of capilaries...


10 minutes after the first pic

20 minutes after the 2nd pic

10 minutes after the 3rd pic

Same time as above picture, different angle

30 minutes after above two pics

The next morning
Day 1 - AM

Day 1 - PM

Day 2 - AM

I'll keep everyone posted with more pictures. I'll take two a day, AM and PM. Later...









No comments:

Post a Comment