Monday, April 9, 2012

Running Circles

So this little Uh-Oh! is turning out to be a wonderful joy! Who knew a baby miniature foal could be a blessing, right?! Haha! Today he is six days old and just as precious and cute as can be!

I've had Dusty and him in the larger goat pen behind my house to 1. Keep them safe from the two stud horses she's been pastured with, 2. to make sure she's getting all of her feed, and 3. to really get him tamed down and exposed to everything.

I have this baby horse book by John Lyons that teaches you to desensitize your foal things and how to imprint and all that jazz. I have to say it has been 100% successful with all our babies.

Anyway, I've not that for three or four days in a row and I didn't think we were getting anywhere. I have Miss Dusty Rose tied between Grandpa's house and mine so she could graze and decided Megan and I should take him to Grandpa's real quick so he could get another look at him and see how much he has grown.

Wait, let me back up. Everyday I've tied Dusty out he immediately starts running these big circles around her...and away from her. He stays "close" and always comes back when she nickers at him.

Back to the story - So when Grandpa was done loving on Uh-Oh! I told Megan to put him down just off the porch and see how quickly he'd return to his mama's side. We figured just a split second of two... Nope! That little stayed with us (while Dusty was screaming and pacing and pitching a fit to get him back). He played with Megan, let me rub all over him, he played with the puppies, he jumped and bucked and reared.

We literally had to walk him back to his waiting mother (sorry Dusty)! He really is going to be something else. But I've said that about all our babies...but still...he will be an amazing little guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment