Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Cinderella Complex

If Cinderella's slipper fit so good at the end of the story, then why did it fall off so easily as she was running?


This is a question I've always asked myself.

Something else I've heard all my life is NOT to have a Cinderella-Complex about love. That nothing about love is "fairy tale", perfect or happy all the time.

To those who said that - did they watch the movie? - listen to the stories of the princesses?

Their lives were FAR from perfect or happy... until the end. And even then, the movie doesn't go on to show us their lives together. I'm pretty confident in saying that it wasn't perfect either.

So what is to be learned here?

That's the next question I ask myself.

Firstly, where am I in my Cinderella story?

For a time (a long time) I was Snow White at the well singing to myself "someday my prince will come."


And now I feel like Pocahontas where I'm singing "why do all my dreams extend just around the riverbend." So very close, but not close enough for me to grab onto.


Christmas Eve night, they saw, is the hardest part of the day before Christmas. Trying to settle excited kids into bed, finishing up cleaning and cooking, wrapping those last few presents. For me, it was always that morning and during the day. Christmas Eve night was always the easiest because I knew all I had to do was fall asleep and Christmas morning would be there when I awoke. But Christmas Eve day... Wow! You had all day to think about the very next morning. The presents! The music! The food! The family! The DAY!

The purpose of Cinderella losing her slipper? The purpose of Snow White living with seven dwarfs, the purpose of Pocahontas fighting the current of the river?

Love. Marriage. A husband. A family. Things very worth waiting for. Things very worth fighting for. Things very worth being very prepared for. Things very worth waiting for the right moment - when BOTH are ready. Cinderella's prince was ready, she wasn't. Snow White's prince was ready, she wasn't. Pocahontas was ready, but her prince wasn't.

When did they get their happy ending? When both were completely ready.

On my countdown until my prince and I are both ready: 48

Yes, I have a Cinderella Complex! I know who I am and I know what I and Ava, both, deserve and are entitled to. I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father, a King, and that makes my a Princess. Ava is a son of God, a Prince. I am willing and able to fight my hardest for the things He has in store for me, for us. And if that means simply waiting and fighting Satan's temptations, then that's what I'll do. I'll fight to the very end until we get the Cinderella ending that the Lord has in store for us!


No comments:

Post a Comment